SahilOnline | Reflection of the Truth

collapse
...
Home / National News / Delhi Police files FIR over youth’s pellet injuries during July 20 protest

Delhi Police files FIR over youth’s pellet injuries during July 20 protest

Sat, 22 Aug 2026 12:46:18    PTI

New Delhi: The Delhi Police on Friday registered an FIR over pellet injuries suffered by a 20-year-old student during the July 20 protest at Jantar Mantar, after Congress leader Rahul Gandhi held a dharna at the Parliament Street police station demanding action in the case.

The FIR was registered on the complaint of the injured youth, Sahil Lochab, a resident of Najafgarh, who alleged that he was hit by several metal pellets during the protest and lost vision in his right eye.

The police registered the case under Sections 118 (voluntarily causing hurt or grievous hurt by dangerous weapons or means) and 25 (act endangering life or personal safety of others) of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS), a police officer said.

According to his complaint, Lochab alleged that he was participating in the students’ protest against alleged irregularities in the Delhi Police recruitment examination and the NEET paper leak. When the crowd reached the Connaught Place area during a march towards Parliament, he moved towards the front while carrying the Tricolour.

He alleged that he suddenly felt something hit the right side of his body, including his chest, arm and eye. When he turned around, he saw a person in a blue uniform carrying a large gun and alleged that several metal pellets were fired from the weapon.

Lochab said he was hit around five or six times and started bleeding from his eye, face, hand and chest. He became disoriented and lost vision in his right eye, he said in his complaint.

He further told police that he was initially taken by a motorcycle to Lady Hardinge Hospital and was later referred to Safdarjung Hospital. He was subsequently taken to the RPC Eye Centre and AIIMS Trauma Centre.

Lochab said he was admitted on the afternoon of July 21 and underwent his first eye operation on the night of July 22. He said his medical records and MLC clearly mention that the eye injury was caused by a pellet and doctors told him that the possibility of recovery of vision in the affected eye was less than one per cent, according to the complaint.

A CT scan at AIIMS showed more than 200 metal pellets or fragments in his body, including in and around his eye, head and chest near the heart, he alleged.

Some pellets, according to the complaint, are lodged in places where doctors have said they cannot be safely removed. Lochab said he was told that some pellets could remain inside his eye and near his heart for the rest of his life and his treatment would be prolonged.

He also told the police in his complaint that on July 25, he underwent another examination and could see only darkness through the affected eye. He was examined at the RPC Eye Centre/AIIMS outpatient department on July 31 and underwent a second eye operation on August 3 on the advice of doctors.

His complaint states that his condition remained unchanged and doctors said the possibility of restoration of vision was negligible.

Lochab also said his medical prescription dated July 31 records that his injuries were caused by metal pellets and similar observations were made in his AIIMS medical records.

In his complaint, Lochab said he had been preparing to join the Delhi Police but could no longer pursue that career because of the injury. His studies have also been disrupted, he said, adding that his family was not financially capable of bearing the cost of prolonged treatment.

He requested the police to obtain the metal pellets or fragments removed from his body during treatment and send them for examination. He also sought collection of his medical records and treatment documents from Lady Hardinge Hospital, Safdarjung Hospital, RPC Eye Centre, AIIMS and AIIMS Trauma Centre.

Lochab also requested in the complaint that his case be considered for medical treatment and compensation, saying his treatment was expected to continue for a long period.

Earlier in the day, Gandhi, accompanied by Lochab, first visited the Mandir Marg police station and sought registration of an FIR. After his demand was not accepted, he went to the Parliament Street police station and met Deputy Commissioner of Police (New Delhi district) Sachin Sharma.

After the meeting failed to yield results, Gandhi sat on a dharna at the police station, which also houses the DCP’s office. Lochab was present there along with his mother. Congress MP Priyanka Gandhi Vadra and other senior party leaders also joined the protest.

Gandhi also targeted Union Home Minister Amit Shah, alleging that he was afraid of justice. The police have now registered the FIR. 


Share: